Friday, October 11, 2013

November 3, 1994 - Noon to 3pm

.... Since I was in a medical school, I was visited by a doctor in training. He was young, eager, but awkward in his examination, offering frivolous talk. As he performed a basic test of a neurology department, I should have been tipped off that I was being examined by a Neurologist.

I was dying... so why I am sitting with a Neurologist?

The student thanked me and assured he would return with the Chief Neurologist. As I waited, I tried desperately to read from magazines and pamphlets from the room, but I was without the ability to focus my eyes on such distractions. From outside the room, I hear the student doctor describing to someone my current state of health.

"He is a 22 year old male with symptoms consistent with some sort of neurological disturbance of the central nervous system."

In walked the Chief Neurologist and after the basic formalities, followed by a repeat of the prior exams, the doctor says, "Kelly, we need to do the following tests: MRI, Spinal Tap, blah.. blah.. blah.. etc. Unfortunately, they cannot be done today."

By him saying please return another day, I rationalized it as him saying I have a few more days to live. If that is the case.. I must go home now and bury my father.

I will be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is that the best you got? ;-)